What's the difference between Macaroons and Macarons?
Well a Macaroon is a dense small bite-sized chewy, flourless cake made of egg white and coconut. A Macaron (pronounced mah-kah-ron) is a crispy almond meringue shell with a chewy interior which has a creamy ganache filling.
This is recipe is for Chocolate Macaroon Sandwiches, which are great to serve with strong coffee.
Makes 15 Sandwiches
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 3 cups of desiccated coconut
- Chocolate filling:¼ cup of cream
- 90g Madécasse 70% cocoa chocolate
- 30g butter
- Preheat oven to 180
- Place the egg whites, sugar and coconut in a bowl and mix well to combine. Press single tablespoons of this macaroon mixture into flat disks and place onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.Cool on the trays.
- To make the chocolate filling, place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring almost to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and butter and stir until smooth.Set aside until cold and thick.
- To assemble, spread a macaroon with chocolate filling and then sandwich with another macaroon.
Stylist: Lisa Clark | Photographer: Nigel Deary